Tuesday, October 6, 2015

A Long Time Rival

Do you ever have that one person in your life that you call a friend but they're more like a rival? Maybe you do, maybe you don't. I'll be writing about someone who I treat as a friend but I never really felt like I was treated as a friend by her. There are actually many reasons to this, but this post will just be about the rivalry part.

It has been a long time since I met her. We went to the same elementary school, middle school, high school, and now university. She was always an academic girl. We were always pretty matched up in terms of grades up until grade 10 of high school. I wouldn't have felt this rivalry with anyone else with similar grades as me. The one thing that was different about this 'friendship' was that every time I would beat her in an assessment by at least a percent, she would say things like "you got so lucky!!" or "luckyy you!". My response in my head would always be maybe I just prepared for this test better? Maybe I'm just better at this assessment? Well things like this would happen up til grade 10 when I stopped comparing myself to her in terms of grades.

I started focusing more on being well-rounded. That included extra-curricular. This was the one thing I always topped her in. I was always involved in extra-curricular activities. In grades school I'd be a milk girl, library helper, orchestra member, reading club. In high school it was volleyball, badminton and band. This brings me to my next point. I have always been better than her at physical activity. Sports and strength. At this point in high school I accepted that I may not be as academically geared as she is. So she'd be the friend that was good at school and I'd be the friend that was more social, involved, strong (physically), and sporty.

Recently when she started showing interest in strength training and working out, my thoughts were, oh no you don't. That's crossing into my territory. Childish right? But it's my drive to go to the gym and continuing to improve myself physically. Maybe just to stay better than her at the one thing I was always better at. Everyone else thinks I'm starting to workout a lot more often because of my two room-mates who are pretty often gym-goers, or my boyfriend who's been a long-time fitness junkie, but NOPE. It is this long-time rival of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik